photo home-56.png photo about-48.png photo perfect-reads.png photo networks.png photo contact-47.png photo videos-4.png

Friday, October 1, 2010

Stone Temple Pilots - Houston Show

I love Scott Weiland and I love Stone Temple Pilots.  I have all of their CD's and even wake up to one of their songs every morning (for the past 2 years-that's love) thanks to a setting on my alarm clock.  I saw one of their shows when I was in college and was floored by how brilliant they were.  It was a show.  Weiland came out dressed as a Priest at one point, followed by him performing the encore naked, except for bring wrapped in an American flag. 

Weiland has been in and out of rehab.  The band has split up numerous times to do their own thing, including Weiland's other band with Guns n Roses members, Velvet Revolver.  I even am a huge fan of Weiland's ex-wife (Sidenote: check out her book Fall to Pieces.)

Anyway, I was beyond stocked when STP reunited and announced a tour stop in Houston.  I paid more than I normally would for good seats and dragged by husband to a Sunday night show (I have to REALLY want to see a band that is on a work night...yes, I'm way lame). 

Doors at 7pm.  We arrived at 8pm.  opening band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club started about 8:15.  Never heard of them, but they were great...downloading some of their stuff as we speak.  BRMC finished their set about 9pm.  Bathroom break and hurry back for the big STP opening.  My heart was beating with anticipation...

and we waited...
and we waited...
another bathroom break...
lots of people watching...
excitement is dying...
booing...
booing...
hundreds are now booing...
the crowd is speculating if the show will be cancelled...
flashback to high school when Creed cancelled after seeing only one song...
back to reality...
It's 9:50pm and the venue must close at 11pm.  So happy I paid for a measley 1 hour set...

Finally at about 10pm, the band comes out.  Instead of the WOW opening I was expecting, we got Weiland holding a cigarette, staggering onstage and giving a drunken rant about quitting drugs, getting divorced, but still drinking.  Needless to say, I was disappointed.  They played all of the great songs, but they were just off.  I told Jason I felt like I was watching a car crash.

Well, we were.  After the Houston show, news came out that the rest of their shows on the tour were postponed.  Read more below.

I love you Scott Weiland and STP!  I forgive you for going on super late and being off.  I hope everything is okay. 




Photo from Houston Press



Shot from our seats


Screen shot from out seats

Love this shot of Weiland


Weiland's trademark bullhorn.  When I think of him, this is exactly what I think of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Design by Fabulous K